Around 10,000 fireworks injuries occur each year. One in every eight (12.4%) fireworks injuries result in a hospitalization; 58% of all fireworks injuries each year occur the week of Independence Day.
Here’s how to stay safe:
• Use sparklers and other novelties on a flat, hard surface. Don’t light them on grass.
• Use sparklers in an open area. Keep children and pets at least 30 feet away.
• Light only one item at a time. Keep a fire extinguisher or water hose on hand.
• Drop used sparklers in a bucket of water. Never allow young children to play with or ignite fireworks.
– Staff Report, Extensive Enterprises Media